Artist Studios and Art Classes
Image: Kingston Studio Artist, featuring Rebecca Marshall. Photographed by Art Documentation Melbourne.
Are you an artist looking for a studio space or art class within the City of Kingston?
Become part of our vibrant and creative arts community by joining a studio program or class offered by Kingston Arts, Clarinda Clayworks, or Mentone Mordialloc Art Group.
artist studios // kingston arts
There are 4 studio spaces at Kingston Arts Centre in an open-plan format. The studios are suitable for artists working in 'low-risk' mediums, such as drawing, illustration, digital design, painting, textiles, craft, small sculpture, or writing.
The studios are accessible to artists Monday - Saturday, 9am - 6pm. The studios include utilities, access to Kingston public WiFi, and an automated heating and cooling system. The general area includes galleries, theatre, outdoor projection sites, Moorabbin Public Library, Melbourne Artists’ Supplies, supermarkets, cafes and restaurants all within walking distance of the spaces. The studios are readily accessible by both car and public transport and located 2-min from Moorabbin Train Station and Bus Exchange.
- Accessibility: Fully-accessible for mobility vehicles
- Location: Kingston Arts Centre, 979 Nepean Hwy. Moorabbin
- Download floor plan (27KB)
- Duration of studio license: 1 year
- Cost per calendar month: $155 (incl. GST)
- Security deposit: $200 upfront
- Applications closed until the end of 2021.
Due to the ongoing situation of COVID-19 and the impact that the Victorian restrictions and venue closures have had on our 2020 studio artists, we will be extending the licenses of all current studio artists until the end of 2021. (Updated: 25/11/20)
Image: Kingston Ceramics Studio, photographed by Art Documentation Melbourne.
ceramics studio // kingston arts
Kingston Ceramics Studio provides facilities for artists working in ceramic arts practice. The studio includes full access to the Tetlow K11A electric kiln (unlimited firings), 4 x Venco no. 3 pottery wheels, clay extruder, banding wheels, bench and shelving space, and a trolley. It is offered as a shared studio space for up to 2 x independent and experienced ceramicists for one-year.
The studio is currently accessible to artists, Monday - Saturday, 9am - 6pm. The price per month includes unlimited kiln firings, utilities, and access to a heating/cooling split system. No on-going technical support is offered to artists. Applicants are expected to demonstrate prior firing knowledge and experience to be eligible to apply.
As of 2020-2022, Christine Yeghyaian is currently our ceramic artist-in-residence. We are seeking a second ceramic artist to join the program for 2021-2022.
*Please note: Kingston Arts requires full access to the Ceramics Studio during school holiday periods to run community workshops. Access during this time will be re-negotiated with the resident artists and you may be asked to facilitate workshops with Kingston Arts, or alternatively temporarily vacate the studio during these times.
- Accessibility: Artists with a disability are advised to contact the Visual Arts Coordinator to discuss requirements prior to applying
- Parking and public transport: Access to Kingston City Hall undercover carpark and located 2-min from Moorabbin Train Station on the Frankston Line
- Location: Kingston Arts Centre & City Hall, 979-985 Nepean Hwy. Moorabbin
- Download floor plan (174KB)
- Duration of studio license: 1 year
- Cost per calendar month: $220.00 (incl. GST)
- Security deposit: $220.00 upfront
- Please note: Due to the temporary closure of Kingston Arts Centre and City Hall and working from home arrangements in Victoria due to COVID-19, we cannot currently accommodate on-site inspections.
clarinda clayworkers inc
Clarinda Clayworkers Inc. are an independent not for profit group of local potters/ceramicists working out of Melaleuca Activity Hub in Clarinda.
They aim to facilitate a collaborative hub where local potters/ceramicists can come together to work in the existing studio and support each other through learning and creating.
Clarinda Clayworkers Inc. run workshops and events throughout the year, and also offer studio memberships to experienced ceramicists.
Please email the group directly for more information about their facilities and programs.
- Accessbility: Continuous, even and accessible path of travel. Accessible parking. Accessible toilets. Good lighting, well-lit space.
- Location: Melalueca Activity Hub, 31 Melalueca Drive, Clarinda 3169
mentone mordialloc art group
The Mentone Mordialloc Art Group is a community-run studio and visual art group located in Mentone.
They aim to be a creative, fine art hub of the community, where people can connect though shared interests.
The Mentone Mordialloc Art Group offers tutored and untutored classes in drawing and painting, which are held six days a week. The studio can be accessed through membership.
Please contact the group directly for more information about their facilities and programs.
- Accessability: Please contact the group directly to discuss requirements.