Follett Road Streetscape Works - Public Art Project
Image: Follett Road aerial perspective
Expressions of Interest are Now Open
Kingston Arts wishes to engage an experienced and community focused artist to deliver public artwork components to complement Council’s Follett Road Streetscape upgrades.
In consultation with students from Cheltenham East Primary School and the Follett Street local traders the artist will design and install public art elements on four electrical poles and activation of the concrete footpath and walkways outside of the Follett Road shopping strip and/or the seated areas.
Kingston is home to many small shopping precincts, which provide meeting places, personalised interactions with traders and a strong sense of local identity. The Follett Road Shops in Cheltenham have been identified as a key priority for the area, which is an exciting time for the precinct, with rejuvenation works planned.
Council will be undertaking the following streetscape improvements from June 2022:
- Improved parking with the provision of an accessible parking bay and re-marking of parking bay lines
- New circular seating to encourage ‘gathering’ areas
- Increased greenery with the planting of new trees, planters and garden beds
- New street furniture such as bench seating, bicycle racks and bins
- Asset modifications.
As part of the Follet Road works, local traders and working groups have identified the desire to see a public art component included that will further revitalise the shopping precinct for residents, whilst fostering civic pride and strengthen connection to place for the local community. These artworks will form part of a series of improvement works at Follet Road which are scheduled to commence from June 2022.
Left: Follett Road view looking west from Mena Avenue, Cheltenham. Right: Follett Road view looking east from Ward Street.
Expressions of interest requirements
Artists submitting an expression of interest must include the following details:
- Proposed positioning and scope of artworks within Follett Road shopping precinct, including proposed materials to be used.
- A detailed budget which includes materials break down and artist fees.
- Current curriculum vitae
- Two referees
- Examples of previous relevant work and community engagement and workshops.
- High resolution jpeg image within a word or PDF doc only, no hyperlinks
- All applications need to be saved as one PDF or word document or in a single zip file, to assist with assessment.
- Evidence of current insurance cover including Public Liability Insurance and Working with Children’s check.
Please note that there are no fees offered in response to this Expression of Interest and no concept designs are expected, only proposed scope of works and visual references to past works.
To submit your application for the Follett Street Art Project please read and review the Artists brief (1MB). Applications close Tuesday the 6th of September at 5pm.
For further enquiries please contact Victoria O'Shea, Arts and Cultural Coordinator, e: email@example.com