Sofie Dieu - Lettre à notre humanité endormie (detail) - 2019 - embroidery on cotton - W60cm x H120cm - photo credit Sarah Months Caroline Spring Library and Learning Hub
'Longing For Home' is a series of workshops facilitated by French textile and ink painting artist, Sofie Dieu. These workshops aim to connect female and non-binary identifying immigrant textile practitioners through an investigation of the meaning of 'home'. These sessions will creatively question what home means when you have lived away from your country of birth, and often family, for so many years.
The textiles created through these sessions will be sewn together into one collaborative art piece. To maintain visual coherence, the collaborative artwork produced will be based on visuals supplied by the artist and will have a colour palette of white, with some touches of light pink and beige. The finished textile work will be exhibited alongside Sofie Dieu's other artworks in a large-scale exhibition entitled, The Odyssey, which will tour across Australia and France in 2020 and 2021.
- Workshops are free of charge, but bookings are essential.
- All participants will be fully credited for their work.
- All materials are provided including fabric, thread, sewing needles, scissors and wooden embroidery frames.
- If you work with your own specific tools, please feel free to bring them along!
- All ages welcome, those under 16 years must be supervised by a parent or guardian.
- Workshops will not be held at the Kingston Arts Centre, they are located at the Cheltenham Community Hall, 1218 Nepean Hwy, Cheltenham 3192 (Corner Charman & Nepean Highway).
Please note that if you register, you should commit to come to each one hour session for the duration of the workshop series. This unique program is an opportunity to forge new friendships, share oral histories and lived experiences, learn news skills and create something beautiful.
Not sure what is involved or if this project is for you? Join artist Sofie Dieu for an informal session to talk about this exciting workshop series and to see how you can be involved.
What: Information Session - Longing For Home Workshops
When: Wednesday 2 October, 10:30am
Where: Foyer Café, Kingston City Hall, 985 Nepean Hwy, Moorabbin
Image credit: Sofie Dieu, "Lettre à notre humanité endormie" (detail), 2019, embroidery on cotton, 60cm x 120cm, photo credit Sarah Months.