Art Day South studio, image courtesy Arts Access Victoria, 2018
Art Day Smackdown celebrates 30 years of the inclusive art studio Art Day South (ADS) and the marvellous work of the ADS studio artists. Hip hip hooray! In the words of ADS artist Heather White “We’re all friends and we have a happy time together and play music and we do different art together. When it is home time we don’t want to go home. Our artworks are very colourful and they stand out.”
Art Day South began as a pilot program at Linden Gallery, before finding it’s new home at Dingley Village Neighbourhood Centre in 1995. Over the past 30 years the studio artists have presented work nationally and internationally, including exhibitions at Theatreworks (St Kilda), ACMI (South Melbourne), Kingston Arts Centre and Cube 37, Frankston Arts Centre, and as part of the Paralympic Arts Festival, Gertrude St Projection Festival and The Other Film Festival.
The Art Day Smackdown exhibition at G3 Artspace encompasses a little bit of everything from the dynamic practices of the studio artists: sculpture, animation, graphic illustration, gestural painting, video, textiles, sound, performance and installation.
Join the artists in celebrating the studio’s anniversary and their vast artistic practices at the opening event - DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED
Other Art Day Smackdown programs include:
- Artist residencies in Nebula, a portable studio and stage, at the Arts Access head office in South Melbourne during August.
- Projections at The Bridge, Kingston Arts Centre, across September.
- Open studios at the ADS studio in Dingley Village Neighbourhood Centre on Friday 10th and Friday 17th of September. See how the artists work in the studio, chat about their practice and make art alongside the artists!
- The debut solo exhibition of ADS artist Katina Anapaikos at Seventh Gallery (Richmond) from 29th September – 23rd October.
- ADS artist Robert Brown in the group exhibition ‘Material Reverie’ at Hawthorn Arts Centre from 2nd October – 11th December.
Please contact studio coordinator Kate Stodart email@example.com for more information about the other programs.