Public Art at Ben Kavanagh Reserve
As part of the redevelopment of the Ben Kavanagh Reserve in Mordialloc, Kingston Arts put out a call for an experienced artist to deliver a large sports themed mural on the onsite sports rebound wall.
After a rigorous selection process, we are excited to announce that the artists chosen for this public art project are creative duo Abbey Rich and Beci Orpin!
Beci Orpin is a Melbourne based creative practitioner who works across illustration, design and craft. Beci has run a freelance studio for over 20 years, teaches creative workshops and exhibits both locally and internationally. Abbey Rich is a Melbourne based painter and public artist. They have extensive experience with public art murals and installations, host and facilitate creative workshops and show art in group and solo exhibitions.
The Committee’s decision was based on the artists’ strong experience working with communities and the refined simplicity of their previous designs and colour palette, which will complement the walls use for sporting activities.
To stay up to date with this exciting artwork as it develops please fill in the below form.
about Ben Kavanagh Reserve
The Ben Kavanagh Reserve is home to a wide range of local sports groups including the Mordialloc Sporting Club, Mordialloc Super Rules Football Club, Mordialloc Junior Football Club, Mordialloc Football/Netball Club, Mordialloc Cricket Club, Mordialloc Bowls Club, Longbeach Petanque group and other community groups.
Works are underway to transform the Reserve including construction of new Netball Courts, Petanque Pistes, outdoor fitness stations, new shared path network, landscaping and a rebound wall which can be used for various sports practice.
Please note: The EOI for artists has formally CLOSED.
- Experience in delivering similar public art projects with community consultation / education component
- Ability to produce work that demonstrates technical skills and has strong aesthetic content
- Proven ability to meet required timeline
- Ability to work within allocated budget
- Consideration of health and safety issues in design and implementation
A total budget of $17,000 including GST is available for this commission. The budget should be inclusive of the following:
- Artist’s fees (including all community liaison)
- All materials and associated installation costs (excluding the install and printing of the vinyl wrap on the proposed electrical cabinets, as previously stated above).
- Insurances and artist’s public liability insurances
You do not need to live in the City of Kingston to apply.
Please download the (1MB)INVITATION-TO-REGISTER-EXPRESSION-OF-INTEREST.pdf (717KB) document.
Enquiries and expression of interests to be sent to Victoria O’Shea, Acting Cultural Producer and Partnerships Coordinator
Email: Victoria.OShea@kingston.vic.gov.au Phone: (03) 95564447
In person: Kingston Arts Centre, 979 Nepean Highway, Moorabbin (Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm or Sat, 12pm - 5pm)