Skip to main content



The City of Kingston encourages all Busking to be done in accordance with current DHHS recommendations.  More information on current recommendations can be found at DHHS



The City of Kingston is proud of its reputation for supporting lively street culture and values the diversity of entertainment that buskers provide.  Artistic and cultural life is integral to Kingston as a liveable, creative city, encouraging buskers from all backgrounds, abilities and through different mediums to showcase their craft in the municipality.

The City of Kingston also recognises the importance of having a structured policy framework to provide a safe, accessible and culturally sensitive environment for buskers, traders, residents and visitors.


What is busking?

Busking may be categorised as actively providing a public performance in a public space in exchange for a donation. In the City of Kingston, busking refers to activities which include a musical instrument and/or singing, conjuring, juggling, mime, mimicry, dance, puppetry, performance art, recitation and other appropriate theatrical and visual forms. It may also include activities such as drawing any message, picture or representation on a pavement, paper or canvas surface.

How do I apply?

There is no interview or audition process required to engage in busking in Kingston however permits are required.

Apply for a Busking Permit

Buskers are required to display their permit at all times when carrying out activities. Permits are non-transferable and apply only to the nominated holder.

Applications for a busking permit are available for a 12-month period.

All applicants are asked to read the Busking Guidelines (77KB) and agree to the terms and conditions therein before a permit can be issued.

The City of Kingston does not charge a fee for busking permits. However, if you do not have your own public liability insurance, you will need to apply for coverage under council's insurance policy when you complete your busking permit application, at a cost of $33 per year.